Ministry logo

Ministry logo

Friday 13 February 2015

We swoon for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle #historyvalentine

My dearest Arthur,

I went to the Museum of London the other week to see their new exhibition all about your detective stories- they even had a little interview clip of you, so good to hear your voice again! But then it was the strangest thing- after you finished speaking about your creation of Sherlock Holmes they cut you off, before you could get to the wonderful things that made you...well you!


My darling as you are, undoubtedly, reading this in the afterlife, you are surely aware how much these 21st century people just adore your stories. Really they are so very popular, on TV and in the cinema - even though I think you'd find these modern Sherlocks a little bit young and funny-looking. But for some bizarre reason they seem to not remember that you were also the world's foremost Spiritualist! A beacon to us all! Come to think of it, there's actually quite a few things people don't seem to remember about you. Your valiant efforts for the country in the Boer War...I mean well in terms of your writing, it was hardly your fault that you were too heavy to enlist. I always did like a man with some meat on his bones.


For all your efforts, people still don't believe in fairies. I mean it's as if they never read your 1921 book The Coming of the Fairies. As if those little girls made those fairies out of paper, preposterous.


You would be pleased to know the Rochester Spiritualist Temple still exists in London, so not all your work is for not. I just find it so unbelievable that people don't remember you could actually speak with the dead!


To add insult to injury, Brits now absolutely love to ski yet do they remember who brought the sport form Scandinavia? No, of course not. Although actually this forgetfulness could be seen as a plus as they also don't seem to remember your failed career in ophthalmology. Never was for you darling.

Well, Arthur, I'll always remember these most lovable attributes about you. Well- I don't have to remember, you can tell me all about it at the next seance.

See you soon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

);